Please note: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
The Jonas Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
Lincolnton: 704.666.1210
Denver: 704.483.2016

Programming more time with the kids into your parenting plan

Like most North Carolina parents, you want to spend as much time as possible with your children. Now that you and your spouse are planning to go your separate ways, you want to make sure that you do what you can to get it.

As part of the child custody portion of the divorce proceedings, you and the other parent decide to work together to create a parenting plan tailored for your family. While you negotiate a parenting time schedule as part of your plan, there may be a way to give you extra time with your children.

Factor in the right of first refusal

No matter how well planned out your parenting time is, you or the other parent may not be able to spend all of your visitation time with the children. If you have a job, you may need to work late. If you have other obligations within your community, they could take you away for a time. When these events came up during your marriage, you may have hired a babysitter, used a day care, or left your kid with friends or family. One of your work schedules could change, causing conflicts with your parenting time arrangements.

Now that you are divorcing, you may want to take advantage of these times. You could let the other parent know that you want the right of first refusal. This means that any time your future former spouse would need to leave the children with someone else during his or her parenting time, you get the first call to take care of them.

What happens if my ex-spouse doesn't comply?

If you are working out your parenting plan outside of the courtroom, each of you will need to agree to abide by the right of first refusal clause. If you are going through the court, you can request this clause in your custody agreement, and if the court agrees, again, it becomes binding on both of you.

Yes, your children should spend time with grandparents, cousins and other extended family as long as doing so does not endanger your children, but they don't have the same legal rights to see your children, if any. You do, however. Your parental rights supersede those of any extended family or friends. If the other parent fails to comply with this agreement, you can return to court to enforce it.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How can we help you?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Lincolnton Office
210 East Main Street
Lincolnton, NC 28092

Phone: 704-666-1210
Fax: 704-735-1490
Lincolnton Law Office Map

Gastonia Office
Open by Appointment Only
534 South New Hope Road
Gastonia, NC 28054

Phone: 704-666-1210
Gastonia Law Office Map

Denver Office
1258 N. NC-16 Business Highway
Denver, NC 28037

Phone: 704-483-2016
Fax: 704-483-2019
Denver Law Office Map